Understanding Mood Swings After Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery can offer life-changing benefits to those dealing with weight issues. It helps in significant weight loss and enhances your quality of life. However, alongside the physical transformations, many patients experience emotional and psychological changes. These experiences are often referred to as mood changes after bariatric surgery. Here, our experts will explore these emotional changes and advise on how you can manage them effectively.
Many patients report experiencing mood swings after bariatric procedures. This is commonly referred to as emotional changes after WLS (weight loss surgery). The mood swings can range from feelings of euphoria and excitement to bouts of sadness and irritability. Don’t panic because these emotional changes are a normal part of the post-surgery experience.
Several factors can contribute to mood swings after gastric sleeve or other bariatric procedures. The most common factors include:
- Hormonal changes: Rapid weight loss can affect hormones like ghrelin and leptin, which influence mood and appetite.
- Nutritional deficiencies: Post-surgery dietary restrictions can lead to nutritional deficiencies. This, in turn, affects your emotional well-being.
- Body image and self-esteem: As the body undergoes dramatic changes, you may experience shifts in self-esteem and body image perception.
- Psychological stress: The stress of adapting to a new lifestyle and managing the expectations of successful weight loss can be emotionally challenging.
Patients experiencing mood changes after gastric sleeve surgery can take steps to manage these emotions effectively:
- Seek support: Connect with a support group, therapist, or counselor specializing in post-bariatric emotional changes. Talking about your feelings can be incredibly helpful.
- Maintain follow-up care: Regular follow-up appointments with our bariatric team are crucial for monitoring your physical and emotional well-being.
- Balanced diet and supplements: Ensure you are following your nutritional guidelines and taking prescribed supplements to address potential deficiencies.
- Stay active: Regular physical activity can help improve mood and reduce stress.
- Set realistic expectations: Understand that bariatric surgery is a tool, not a magic solution, and that weight loss may not resolve all emotional challenges.
Understanding the causes and effectively managing these mood swings is essential for a successful post-operative journey. Are you considering bariatric surgery in New York? Look no further than our dedicated experts at Lennox Hill Hospital. We will guide you toward better health post-op as we prioritize your emotional well-being as much as your physical health. Schedule an appointment with us today!