Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery New York, NY
The Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is a very effective weight loss procedure that involves several steps. First, the size of the stomach is reduced by dividing it with gastric staples thus creating a small stomach or gastric pouch (called a “gastrojejunostomy”) at the upper part of the stomach.
The small intestine is then divided into two segments – the Roux limb and the biliopancreatic limb. The Roux limb is brought up and connected to the new pouch so the new pouch can empty food contents into the bowel. The result of the altered digestive tract is that the lower stomach and a portion of the small intestine is bypassed. “Roux-en-Y” refers to the Y-shaped appearance of the altered small intestine after the bypass is performed.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Reduced post surgery pain, recovery time and time off work compared to an open procedure.
- Often described as the “gold standard” for weight loss surgery in the United States.
- At two years, postoperative average weight loss is 70-80% of excess weight.
- Hypertension and diabetes are clinically reversed or improved in over 90% of patients.
- Dumping (an uncomfortable physical reaction) can occur with foods high in fat and sugar; the desire to avoid dumping syndrome can help modify eating behavior.
- Almost no risk of incisional hernias after the operation (up to 20% of open operations will have this problem).
Risks (Short-term) of Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Leaks can occur from the gastrojejunostomy and from where the intestines are reconnected (3%).
- The risk of death from surgery is 0.5%.
Risks (Long-term) of Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Vitamin and iron deficiencies can occur.
- Without diet and exercise, after 12-18 months, 10-30% of the weight lost can be regained.
* Results may vary.
Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery is a highly effective weight loss procedure with numerous benefits. To explore your options and get personalized guidance, please don’t hesitate to contact us for a gastric bypass in Manhattan and NYC. Your journey to a healthier life begins here.